WHAT IS NLP
“NLP or Neuro-Linguistic Programming is the study of the structure of human experience. It is a communication toolkit that provides the ability to discover, utilize, and change our programmed thoughts and behaviors, assisting us in having new experiences in life that are more satisfying, fulfilling, and enjoyable."
- Carl Buchheit
”To give a bit of history, a couple of crazy geniuses named Richard Bandler and John Grinder (UC Santa Cruz), came together and studied/modeled the most effective linguists, psychologists, therapists and scientists in the world, and extrapolated from that:
Alfred Korzybski’s conceptual frameworks of general semantics; Carl Rogers’s and Abraham Maslow’s pioneering of the Human Potential; Noam Chomsky’s and Karl Pribram’s expertise on Cognitive Psychology; Virginia Satir’s influence on Family System’s Therapy; Milton Erickson’s genius in Psychiatry/
Hypnotherapy; Gregory Bateson’s systems theory of social science; and Fritz Perls’s version of psychotherapy called Gestalt Therapy.
The result was a toolbox of techniques that are so powerful that we have to do what’s called an “ecology check”, meaning if one aspect of a person were to change, how might that affect their relationships and their environment, because who they used to be is not compatible or fitting to who they have become or who they are becoming. Otherwise, the shifts will rearrange your external world because of the revisions within your internal map, by adding choices to our menu that weren’t available before.
There are many schools of NLP which focuses on procedures, yet this special style of NLP considers the whole person and all aspects of their lives - past, present, and future. This unique and effective approach was developed by Dr. Jonathan Rice and continued by the brilliant Carl Buchheit Ph.D.”- Daniel Bilog
To give you a deeper picture into what NLP Marin is, check out their core values at www.nlpmarin.com.
- Removing limitations and attachment to suffering
- Opening doorways to possibilities and happiness
- Letting people be who they are without being wrong for it
- Inspiration and excitement about the future
- Allowing the imagination to work for us, rather than against us, in the most glorious ways possible
NLP Sessions with Joti
1) It’ll be 1:1, and the format will seem somewhat undifferentiated from a therapy session.
2) We will focus on clarifying what outcomes you want, identifying behaviors that might be misaligned to achieving that outcome, and exploring ways in which we bring them into alignment.
3) Typically, clients walk away with more clarity about their outcomes, an increased self-awareness about their internal thoughts, but more importantly, a greater capacity to adopt new behaviors and be at Choice about them.